Friday, May 10, 2013

DIY Disaster turned Inspiration

Yesterday I spent a few hours researching all kinds of DIY projects on YouTube. I looked up jean shorts, jean vests, necklaces, bracelets and bags. I chose a DIY video called Sailor Bracelet from a video blogger named LaurDIY (@LaurDIY on Twitter and Instagram). I never really wear bracelets because my wrists are so small that bracelets tend to look too big on me or they just fall off. But after seeing this video I decided to try the DIY project out for myself. However, what I really need to do is listen for instructions a bit more. She had mentioned in the video that she used a stretchy fabric and one of them looked like a shoelace. I was more interested in making the the black bracelet with the anchor because to me it looked much nicer. Well, I should have bought the stretchy one.

When I got home and sat down to do the project I realized I did not have enough material. Which, of course, sucked because you can never add. That was mistake #1. Mistake #2. Because I did not buy stretchy fabric to begin with, I couldn't even put on the bracelet. And Mistake #3. (This mistake ended up being a good thing.) The material I bought was just to thick that the ends of one of the bracelets kept unraveling. So I had no choice but to loosen it all up, braid it and make a necklace instead. Not so bad.

I think the end result can turn out really great with just a little bit more practice and I will definitely try this project again with clearer instructions at hand.

Below is the video and the results from my first try. And you can check out @LaurDIY on YouTube as well as on her website at www.desireandinspire.com.

Bye!  






No comments:

Post a Comment